Monday, June 20, 2011

Fixing a broken chair

I feel terrible. I had a dinner party for some friends last weekend and unbeknown to me, one of my poor friends spent the entire evening sitting on a broken chair. He was kind enough not to say anything though.

What a trooper. And what a terrible host am I !!

Being in the process of recovering these chairs, I knew it could be saved, so I unzipped the cover, and lifted up the foam cushion to see a massive crack through the particleboard base.


The base was screwed on, so I took it off, popped down to the shed and using the original as a template, whipped up a copy using a piece of sold pine and my handy jigsaw.

HAH I wish.

The best I could find was a few pieces of old fencing and a hand saw. Clearly that was going to get me nowhere, so I popped over to my grandparent's house. Fortunately, my Grandad is a retired carpenter, so HE was able to get out his jigsaw, a scrap piece of pine and cut out a new base for my chair.

THANKS GRANDAD!!

From there, I brought it home, lined it up with the chair frame...

....and marked the drill holes to reassemble the chair.....

....screwed the base back on....


....and reassembled that baby!


(The base has some felt on it as the chair cover sticks to the undeside with velcro.)

 
And BAM! All done.

It's so nice to be able to fix things and not just toss them out and buy new ones, particularly in this very throw away society we live in.

Have a great week everyone.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment